Know Your Rights
Group & Travel Insurance
Hutton &

Sickness Advice


This page gives an overview to some of the issues surrounding reporting unfit for duty through sickness. Further information is available from your Federation representative or the Federation office. See elsewhere on this site for additional information if you have been injured on duty.

To make a personal injury claim you can call the Police Federation Claim line for personal injury claims: 0800 9171 999

Related Documents

Attendance Policy: Reporting Absence and Maintaing Contact

What happens if I go onto half or no pay?

Managing sickness absence in the police service

Managing sickness absence in the police service - Appendices

Resume/Maintain paid sick leave


If you are a direct victim of a crime of violence, you may well be entitled to receive an award from the CICA. This may include injuries sustained when an offender resists arrest. It is established law that anyone who struggles or attempts to resist arrest will be able to foresee that in so doing they may cause harm, even if it is not the harm they envisaged. Panel Solicitors Ralli have recently successfully pursued 2 cases to the tribunal courts following decisions by the CICA to reject such claims at first instance and even on reconsideration. These cases will now be remitted back to the CICA for an award to be made. If you are injured accidentally during a crime you will however have to show that you were injured while taking an exceptional and justified risk.
Further information is available at

An injury during the course of your work may result in you being eligible for Industrial Injuries Disablement Pension (IIDB). If you have symptoms likely to last beyond a few months I would urge you to complete a BI100A for IIDB as the process has a timescale. Further information at :-

You can download forms for Industrial Injuries from the following web addresses: Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits on form BI100:

The Federation Group Insurance Scheme gives :- Life Insurance Benefit, Personal Accident Benefit, Half Pay Benefit, Unsociable Hours Benefit and more. Further information on Group Insurance can be found at :-

Being a member of the PTC ( Police Treatment Centres) gives access to their facilities at Harrogate and Auchterarder. Facilities include Counselling, Physiotherapy, Complementary Therapies and much more. Further information and application forms can be downloaded from:-

If you are a member of the NWPBF (North West Police Benevolent Fund) gives you access to priority Physiotherapy and Counselling at St. Michael's Lodge, Langho. You may also access their Convalescent and Holiday Lodges situated at Carnforth Leisure Lakes and Windermere.

Further details and application forms from

There may also be other services you can access through the force, please call Health Services for further information If you are not a member of any of the aforementioned schemes and would like to join, please contact the Federation Office on 01772 412520 or visit our website where you can also download our App.

Please return the completed forms to the Police Federation Office for processing and for scanning into your Federation computer record for future pension purposes. Should you require help and assistance in pursuing this matter, please contact the Federation Office on the above extension.

Reporting sickness absence.

If an officer is unable to report for work due to sickness or injury, they are responsible for personally informing their supervisor of the reason for their absence, a likely date of return, and any action they are taking to overcome the condition (e.g. visiting their doctor). This should be done the day or days before the officer is due to work their next shift, or as soon as possible after the start of the working day. It is helpful if the officer can provide a contact telephone number for the duration of their absence. Other than in exceptional circumstances, the message should not be passed to the supervisor by a partner, family member, colleague, voice mail or text message.

Subsequent absence

If absence continues beyond the first day, contact should be made by the absent officer (or in exceptional circumstances by someone on their behalf) on a regular basis as determined by the supervisor. This is to allow the supervisor to offer advice or assistance, and to plan for the absence in the workplace. If the sickness continues beyond seven calendar days, the officer should submit a medical certificate from their GP to their supervisor at the earliest opportunity. Medical certificates are required throughout the period of sickness (after the initial seven days), and it is important that there is no break in the dates that they cover.

Home visits

Officers who are on sick leave should be visited regularly by a supervisor, to ensure any welfare needs are addressed and to encourage a return to work. It also provides the opportunity to discuss any concerns the individual may have about their absence and review the support that can be provided. It is not acceptable for an officer to refuse contact whilst on sick leave. Meetings may take place at an alternative agreed location if requested by the officer.

Illness at work

If an officer becomes unwell at work and is sent home, there is no requirement to complete a sickness report form since sickness is counted in complete days. However the officer should record on their attendance sheet that they have left work early. They will not be required to make up the hours missed for that day. If the illness continues on the next day a sickness report form should be completed from that day.

Reporting fit for duty

Officers should ensure that their supervisor (or other nominated person) is informed of the days that they are fit to return to work, even if this is a rest day, Bank Holiday, or has been booked as annual leave. Where an officer is fit to return to work before the date given on a GP's medical certificate, they should obtain a certificate from their GP confirming that they are fit to return. When an officer returns to work they will have a 'return to work' interview with a supervisor.

Alternatives to reporting sick

Officers should not report sick to meet personal or domestic needs. This would constitute misconduct. There are other options that can be discussed with a supervisor, such as taking annual leave, recovering overtime held 'on the card', or discretionary / compassionate leave.

Payment of salary during long term sickness

The Secretary of State's determination of sick pay under regulation 28 of the Police regulations 2003 provides that a member of a police force who is absent on sick leave shall be entitled to full pay for six months in any one year period. Thereafter, the member becomes entitled to half pay for six months in any one year period. Officers who believe they may find themselves in this situation should contact the Federation Office, for those contributing to the Group Insurance Scheme members of sick for between 6 and 12 months will receive £100 per week.

The Chief Constable retains the discretion, however, to extend the period of entitlement to, as appropriate, full pay or half pay. For further details as to how this would affect you, please contact the JBB office.

Sickness whilst on annual leave

If an officer becomes sick whilst on annual leave they should verbally inform their supervisor immediately if they wish to take sick leave rather than annual leave. The request shall be followed in writing. Thereafter the officer should follow the sickness reporting procedures as laid down above. Sickness cannot be reported retrospectively after returning from annual leave.

Attendance at court whilst sick

An officer who is required to attend court whilst on sick leave should do so, unless their GP submits a medical certificate indicating that they are not fit to attend. Officer who do attend court whilst on sick leave should not wear uniform during their court appearance, and should be given assistance with travelling to and from court if necessary, along with any other support required.

Permission to go on holiday whilst on sick leave.

Officers who have booked a holiday prior to being absent on sick leave, or who have been advised by their GP that a holiday would expedite their recovery should advise their supervisor of the circumstances as soon as possible, who will liaise with the occupational health department. The officer may take their holiday if the occupational health advisor or Force medical advisor agrees with the GPs recommendation that the holiday will not impede their recovery. Officers who fail to seek permission to take their holiday may be subject to disciplinary action.